SALINE FARMERS MARKET
Revised July 1, 2014
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. DATES AND TIMES OF MARKETS
SATURDAY (SUMMER) - May through second week of October - 8 a.m. - 12:00 noon
TUESDAY - June through September - 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
SATURDAY (INDOOR WINTER) - Third Saturday in October through April - 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
2. LOCATION OF MARKETS
SATURDAY (SUMMER) - Parking Lot #4, Downtown, S. Ann Arbor St., ½ block south of Michigan Ave.
TUESDAY - Saline District Library parking lot, 555 N. Maple Rd., ½ mile north of Michigan Ave.
SATURDAY (INDOOR WINTER) - Liberty School (south entrance), 7265 Saline Ann Arbor Rd.
3. SEASONAL FEES
Seasonal vendors may select a stall for the year on a seniority basis until April 1st and then selection is on a first come, first serve basis with payment of Seasonal fee. Triple stalls are only permitted by approval of Market Manager. There are no refunds for missed Saturdays.
- SATURDAY (SUMMER) - The Seasonal rental fee is $286 for a single stall, $490 for a double stall and $673 for a triple stall. The Seasonal rate includes a 15% discount. 24 weeks
- TUESDAY - The Seasonal rental fee is $168 for a single stall, $291 for a double stall and $414 for a triple stall. The Seasonal rate includes a 10% discount. 17 weeks
- SATURDAY (WINTER) - The Seasonal rental fee is $243 for a single stall, $486 for a double stall and $729 for a triple stall. The Seasonal rate includes a 15% discount. 26 weeks
4. DAILY FEES
A daily stall may be reserved in advance by paying the rental fee. Daily stalls will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Space for daily vendors is limited; therefore, we cannot guarantee space will be available, unless paid in advance. If stall is paid for in advance but the vendor does not come, the stall rental is still the responsibility of the vendor for the committed weeks.
- SATURDAY (SUMMER) - The daily rate is $14 for a single stall, $24 for a double stall and $33 for a triple stall, payable upon arrival each Market Day.
- TUESDAY - The daily rate is $11 for a single stall, $19 for a double stall and $27 for a triple stall, payable upon arrival each Market Day.
- SATURDAY (WINTER) - The daily rate is $11 for a single stall, $22 for a double stall and $33 for a triple stall, payable upon arrival each Market Day.
- An application must be filled out each.
5. APPLICATION AND LICENSES
An application must be filled out each year and signed with copies attached of up-to-date permits/licenses including Michigan Department of Agriculture and/or Food and Dairy Division or any other applicable licenses before vendor can set up at the Market. Also include a copy of your Liability Insurance Declaration Page. We are requesting that you add to your Liability Insurance the City of Saline, 100 N. Harris Street 48176 as an additional insured and provide us with a Certificate showing this addition.
year and signed with copies attached of up-to-date permits/licenses including Michigan Department of Agriculture and/or Food and Dairy Division or any other applicable licenses before vendor can set up at the Market. Also include a copy of your Liability Insurance Declaration Page. We are requesting that you add to your Liability Insurance the City of Saline, 100 N. Harris Street 48176 as an additional insured and provide us with a Certificate showing this addition.
6. SET UP TIMES
All vendors must be completely set up when market opens.
In order to claim your space, vendors must be present by the time listed below.
7:45 a.m. Saturday (Summer)
2:45 p.m. Tuesday
8:45 a.m. Saturday (Winter)
A vendor coming after the times listed above may be turned away and will still be responsible for the fee for that day if the space is reserved. Space may be rented out to another vendor after that time.
A vendor who has arrived after set up time three market days during market season may be asked to leave the market permanently. It is very disruptive to have a vendor setting up after the market opens.
If there is an emergency and the vendor calls the Market Manager in advance, the space might be saved depending on how busy the market is. Nancy Crisp, Market Manager home number is (734) 429-3518; cell phone number is (734) 972-0635; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily stalls will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis (unless paid in advance as stated above). Daily vendors must wait for their assignment by the Market Manager unless previous pre-paid arrangements have been made and the stall has been assigned.
Set-up time for all vendors with a reserved space begins at:
6:45 a.m. Saturday (Summer)
2:00 p.m. Tuesday
7:30 a.m. Saturday (Winter)
All final decisions regarding assignment of stall(s) are done by the Market Manager.
7. NOTICE REQUIREMENT- A waiting time of one week from time of inquiry or notification is required. Within that one week, the new or previous vendor must submit to the Market Manager or City Hall a completed application with copies of required licenses.
8. CLOSING TIMES - All vendors must begin to pack up at closing time of market. Vendors will be allowed ½ hour to load, clean up and leave the Market.
9. STALL SIZE - Each stall for Saturday and Tuesday markets is 9 ft. x 18 ft. Vendor must keep their tables and product within the boundaries of their assigned stall with the exception of legs of a tent (on the side - not front) which are usually 10 ft. wide instead of the stall's width which is 9 1/2 ft. wide. Stall size for Indoor Saturday (Winter) market is 6 ft. x 5 ft.
10. GROWER'S ONLY MARKET - This is a grower's only market; all vendors must grow their own product and produce their own baked goods. The City of Saline has the right to inspect any Vendor at their place of business to ensure that they are growing their own product and producing their own baked goods.
Exceptions (with the approval of the Market Manager):
- If there is a shortage of an item, i.e., blueberries, etc., a vendor may bring that item from a local grower; the item must be clearly marked "grown by (grower's name)".
- Decorative flower pot arrangements may include seasonal flowers purchased from a local grower. Flower arrangements must demonstrate that considerable time and effort was invested to produce the finished item.
11. CRAFTS - Crafts must demonstrate that considerable time and effort was invested to produce the finished item. The finished item must have a professional quality appearance. The Market Manager will review the craft via photos or in-person before craft is accepted into this Market. The number of stalls is limited for crafts.
12. QUALITY - Vendors are expected to have a quality product for sale at all times.
13. PERMITS/LICENSES - Vendors are required to comply with all Michigan Department of Agriculture Rules and Regulations. Michigan Department of Agriculture website is: www.state.mi.us (Select Agency: Agriculture). A website for frequently asked questions is: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_FOOD_Farmers_Market_Masters_110707_7.pdf
Baked Goods and Prepared Foods: Vendors selling baked goods must have an appropriate license. Contact Food and Dairy Division at 800 292-3939 or 517 373-1837 with questions regarding selling baked goods and prepared foods.
Cottage Law for Baked Goods: All baked goods must be made from scratch. Vendors must label the baked goods according to the Cottage Law requirements. The website for details is Michigan.gov/mda. In search box type: Cottage Law under Quick Links on right.
Perennials/Trees: Vendors selling perennials, shrubs, and trees are required to have a Nursery License and a Sales Tax License. For Nursery License information call Pest Division at 517 373-1087. Call Department of Treasury for questions regarding Sales Tax License.
Annual Flowers: Vendors who sell annual flowers are not required to have a Nursery License but are required to have a Sales Tax License.
Produce: No license is required for vendors who sell food grown by them, i.e., vegetables, fruit, honey, and maple syrup.
Meat: All meat must be produced at a USDA facility. Vendors must supply Market Manager with appropriate licenses.
14. UNLOADING AND PARKING - Please unload as quickly as you can and move your vehicle unless you are parking your vehicle in your stall. For Saturday (Summer) and Tuesday Markets vendors may rent a stall, park their vehicle in it and sell the product in same space as long as the vehicle, tent, and product stay within the boundaries of the stall. No vendor vehicles (other than in the vendor's paid for space) are to be parked in parking lot in and around Farmers Market. We need as many close and convenient parking places for customers as possible.
Saturday (Summer) please park your vehicle on W. Henry St. or in parking lot off of E. Henry St. east of S. Ann Arbor (where market moves during Summerfest). On Tuesday please park your vehicle in School parking lot leaving the Library parking lot free for Library patrons and Farmers Market customers.
Saturday (Winter) Market please unload at either the south entrance or the maintenance room entrance in the east lot (in the back) and then park your car in the east lot (back of building). Leave parking places close to Market entrance (south entrance) free for customers.
15. CLEAN-UP - Dumping of produce in the trashcans is not permitted. Please take home everything that you do not sell including boxes, bags, etc. Each vendor is expected to clean their stall at the end of each Market day and keep it neat during the period that the Market is open. Please bring a broom!
16. NO SMOKING - Smoking by the vendors is not permitted in and around the Market.
17. RULES - Occupants of stalls during the Saline Farmers Market must at all times conform to the Market Rules. The Market Manager has full authority to enforce all rules with fairness and impartiality. Any occupant failing to comply with the rules will be denied the opportunity to sell at this Market as determined by the Market Manager. Fees already paid will be prorated and refunded. Reasons may include misrepresentation of products, nonpayment of fees, poor quality of produce or inappropriate conduct or appearance as determined by the Market Manager. The Market rules supplement the City Code provisions, and apply to daily as well as Seasonal vendors. All vendors must comply with the Market Rules and The Saline City Code.