Phone: (734) 429-4907 Hours: M-F 8:30am-5pm

One of America's Best Places to Live, Work and Play


Department of Public Works

Call the Department at (734) 429-5624



SEPTEMBER 13-26, 2021

The Mill Pond Park R.O.M.P. play structure will be closed beginning Monday, September 13, 2021 through Sunday, September 26, 2021, in order to complete annual maintenance work. 
During this time the play structure will be cleaned, repaired and sealed.  It is important to stay off the structure while the sealant is curing. 
The play structure is scheduled to reopen on Monday, September 27, 2021, weather permitting. 
Please contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) at (734) 429-5624 with questions.



SEPTEMBER 20-24, 2021

The annual fall cleanup of Oakwood Cemetery is tentatively scheduled to begin on Monday, September 20, 2021, weather permitting. 
Any item determined by the City to be in poor condition will be discarded.  As a precaution, please remove items for safekeeping by Sunday, September 19, 2021. 
New or returning items can be placed in Oakwood Cemetery beginning Saturday, September 25, 2021.
Please contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) at (734) 429-5624 with questions.



10/21/21 – 12/03/21

The City of Saline’s Loose-Leaf Collection Program will begin Thursday, October 21, 2021 and continue through Friday, December 3, 2021. 

Residents must have all leaves raked out at the curb by Sunday, November 28, 2021. 

Beginning Monday, November 29, 2021, the DPW will make a final pass through each street collecting leaves. 

Leaves not at the curb by Sunday, November 28, 2021, will not be collected.


Cross Connection Residential Program

The City of Saline is required under Public Act 399, Part 14, to maintain a cross connection control program to identify and eliminate any possible connections that could contaminate the public water system.

What is a cross connection?
A cross connection is an arrangement of piping that could allow undesirable water, sewage, or chemical solutions to enter your drinking (potable) water system as a result of back flow. Cross connections with potable piping systems have resulted in numerous cases of illness and even death.

How does this program impact me, a resident?
Inspectors from our contractors, HydroCorp, will be inspecting the exterior of each residential home in the City of Salne. This process will take quite some time and needs to be completed on a ten year cycle. 

How will I know when my property is going to be inspected?
You will receive notice from HydrCorp approximately two weeks before your scheduled inspection. On the day of inspection, you may notice a car with HydroCorp decals, a sandwich board to let residents know the inspector is in your neighborhood and inspecting. The inspector will be wearing a brightly colored vest wth the HydroCorp logo.

Inspectors will NEVER request access to your home.Please do not let anyone into your home, if you are concerned, please call the Saline Police Department non-emergency line at (734) 429-7911.

What will the inspectors be looking for?
HydroCorp inspectors are looking at the outside water sources of your home, which include water spigots and sprinkler or lawn irrigation systems. Pools and hot tubs in most instances will be part of a hose system on your spigot, but if not, they will be inspected too. Inspectors are looking to ensure all of your outside water sources have properly working backflow prevention systems. The entire inspection is expected to last approximately 5 minutes.

You do not need to be present for the inspection, however, inspectors do need to be in your front and back yard. If it is locked or you have pets, the inspector may ask you to a,low them access or to remove the pet from the yard before they can inspect. If you are not home, the inspector will leave you a door tag or send you a letter to let you know they will need access at a later date.

How will I know the result of my inspection
Your HydroCorp inspector will leave you a door tag with the results of your inspection. The results may include:

  • You are in full compliance and require no further action.
  • The backflow prevention system is missing a vacuum breaker - one will be left for you to install – with instructions on completing the approval process online.
  • Corrections are needed. The most common correction is a backflow prevention system that must be installed to your sprinkler/lawn irrigation system or other devices, which will require a properly licensed plumbing contractor to complete and certify the work.

Where can I find more information?
Please visit the HydroCorp website for a more detailed FAQ page.


The Department of Public Works is responsible for the following City services:

DPW TrucksWater Distribution System

Maintenance and repair of the water distribution system and appurtenances, including fire hydrants, install domestic and sprinkler meters, read water meters for quarterly billing and final read for home purchases. Utility staking of Miss Dig requests.

Sanitary & Storm Sewer Collection Systems

Maintenance and repair of the sewer collection systems. See the FAQ page for some answers to common sewer questions.

Recycling, Trash, and Yard Waste

Coordination with Waste Management for residential and commercial trash removal, recycling, and yard waste programs.

Fleet Services

Purchase and maintain all City vehicles and equipment.

Transit Services

The City of Saline subsidizes the cost of transit services for low income and senior citizens through People’s Express. People’s Express bus transportation is available to residents of the City for destinations within the City limits and to certain locations in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. Read more »

Library-Brecon Trail from SCTN on Vimeo.


Maintenance of 11 public parks including the maintenance of play equipment.

Community Events

Coordinate with event organizers and provide support for community events.

DPW CrewMajor and Local Streets

Maintenance and repair of city’s street system including snow removal, pavement repair, and sweeping.


Repair or reduce trip hazards and snow removal from City owned sidewalks.

Street Lights

Reporting of street light failures to Detroit Edison.

Street Signs

Install and maintain various signs throughout the City. Requests for new signs must be made to the Saline Police Chief.

Traffic Signals

Maintenance and repair of traffic signals (except for traffic signals located on Michigan Avenue, which are maintained by Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)).

oakwoodcemetery_dpw_working.jpgCemetery Operations

Operate and maintain Oakwood Cemetery.